What does it mean to be a successful teacher?
While I cannot attempt to answer all of these questions now, I do have a few values that drive my teaching philosophy and implementation.
The obvious purpose of my class is to teach Spanish. That is the subject matter. However, I do not expect nor hope that all my students will continue studying Spanish and one day become fluent speakers. I do hope to inspire and excite students about Spanish and the things taught in my classroom and seek to help those that wish to become fluent get closer to their goal. However, and more importantly, I seek to help students learn skills that will extend beyond my classroom and even Spanish. These are universal skills that will help them succeed in their lives, and therefore I will hopefully prepare them for their futures. Examples of these are studying (both what it is and how to do so effectively), self-directed learning and motivation, using resources, etc. My entire curriculum and teaching methods must reflect the instruction and use of these skills to achieve my goals as a teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment