Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Assessments in SBG

I like to think about SBG as using multi-layered assessments.  I've finally organized in my brain how I would want to assess and grade students using SBG, so here goes:


  1. Students attend class and participate in learning activities.
    • These types of things are recorded separately from grades, though I may want to include them as a small percentage (5%) of their final grade.
    • Students are given frequently (daily?) non-graded self-assessments to inform them for where they are with regard to standard.  Thus, my graded assessments are not a surprise.
  2. Graded formative assessments are given frequently.
    • These are un-announced and may assess any standard that we have covered in class.  Particular attention will be given to ensuring each assessment addresses at least a few previously-assessed items as well as new items (revisit old material!).
    • I am considering a "review twice" rule, meaning that I cannot assess anything that I have taught and then revisited/reviewed twice in class)
  3. Each standard is graded and recorded separately.
    • For formative assessments, the most recent assessment grade overrides all others.
    • I'd like to keep track, though, of student progress.  In practice, this could include entering all grades for all assessments, but only including the most recent assessment grade in the overall grade calculation.
    • As we are "forming" our knowledge, I may assess standards in a manner that does not allow students to achieve an Advanced grade.  For example, on vocab, you must be able to translate without being given the English words to earn an Advanced, but you may do matching to earn a Proficient.  However, toward the end of the semester, I must be assessing at the "Advanced" level to give students the opportunity to earn the grade.
  4. Students may choose to reassess on any standard on their own time.
    • For example, a student that did well on all but one standard on my formative may come in after school to re-assess.
    • They must show evidence of some sort of studying before they can re-assess.
    • They may choose to re-assess in a different manner than was on my formative in order to do better (i.e. matching v. translation; orally reciting countries and capitals rather v. paper/pencil assessment).  These will be from a menu and graded on a rubric that indicates equivalency between the different methods of assessment.
    • Students are allowed to re-assess once per day.
    • Their grade from this re-assessment then overrides their previous score.
  5. Two summative assessments will be given: A midterm and final.
    • Students will not be allowed to re-assess to improve these scores.
    • These scores will be counted separately (7.5% each for a total of 15% of the grade) from the standards assessed formatively so as not to override previous achievement.
    • This is intended to assess retention.
Click Here for an explanation for an example of how these scores could be calculated to achieve an overall grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment