Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Using homework as a tool to teach study habits

One of my goals is to teach students to study.  The broad concept behind this goal is that work and effort result in achievement.  I don't believe our students know how to study nor are they prepared sufficiently to study once they leave high school and enter into the world of college and/or work.  Study skills (and in a broader sense, "work and effort" skills) are required for students to be successful in almost any area of their lives.

The mean by which I'd like to teach students to "study" is through the work I ask them to do.  I don't want to assign work simply for the sake of having work - I want to assign work that teaches students study and learning skills.  For example, a fill-in-the-blank worksheet may ask students to complete work related to material from class, but doesn't effectively teach students what they need to know.  Oftentimes, students do the work simply to get it done with the help of outside resources, such as friends, notes, parents, the internet, etc., and simply copy the answers onto their paper without truly internalizing them.  Moreover, these skills aren't applicable to other assignments or areas of work and study.

Instead of "work", I want to ask my students to complete assignments that will apply to all areas and various information to teach students study methods.  I want to be sure these assignments provide various ways of studying so students can figure out what works for them.  Hopefully, these activities will translate into higher achievement on scores and students will apply these activities to other areas of study and beyond my class to learn any information they need to.

Examples of activities that would promote true study skills and hopefully mastery of the material include elaboration, re-representation, organization, etc.  Specific examples include making an outline, drawing an illustration, or using the information to write a story.  Each of these activities are universal skills that can be used in any classroom for various types of material.  I'll have to look into more ways that I can promote good study skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment