Steps I need to take to develop a standards-based classroom:
- Decide what my standards are and when I want students to achieve them by.
- These go hand-in-hand as my standards need to be achievable by the deadline.
- For Spanish, I believe my deadline will be the end of the quarter or semester as this is when grades are due. However, I could see how there could be an argument made for the deadline to be the end of the unit in classes where the subject matter doesn't build upon itself.
- Standard Development: I would like to have the same general categories for all levels of Spanish, though the specific standards (which I will write at a later date) would be increasingly difficult for each Spanish level. In addition, I need to tie my specific standards to state and district standards. For example, I will assess students' mastery on the vocabulary by having them match the Spanish word to its English equivalent. Thus, the standard, listed under "Reading" and under the sub-category "In Isolation" would be to Match Spanish words to English equivalent. This could be tied to the Idaho state standard which requires students to "Recognize written forms of basic vocabulary" (7-12.WL1.1.3.2).
- Brainstorming of general standard categories:
- Listening
- In isolation
- In context
- Reading
- In isolation
- In context
- Writing
- Coherency
- Completeness of ideas
- Correct grammar/punctuation/spelling
- Speaking
- Coherency
- Completeness of ideas
- Correct grammar
- Pronunciation
- Culture
- Geography
- Practices
- Citizenship
- Turning items in on time
- Attendance
- Participation
- Decide how I am going to assess these standards.
- Formative Assessments
- Summative Assessments
- Decide how I am going to score these assessments.
- Rubrics
- Scales
- Decide how this will shape my daily activities.
- Assignments
- Homework
- Activities
- Knowledge-checks
- What is required for students to do?
- Decide how I will assign grades
- What to enter into the grade book
- What to count in the final grade
- What I will collect at all
- What to check
No comments:
Post a Comment