Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Classroom Goal

Classroom Management: Class Goals

By the end of the year, I have two general areas in which I hope to help my students to improve: Spanish-Language Abilities and Personal Growth.  I outlined the following goals using the SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timely) method.  They are the foundation for my classroom management philosophy and strategies.

Spanish-Language Proficiency
In my class, students learn to communicate using all four domains of the Spanish language: comprehending spoken and written Spanish as well as producing comprehensible written and spoken Spanish.  My main goal is for students to experience significant improvement in their Spanish-language proficiency by achieving benchmark communication targets.  First and foremost, I aim for 100% comprehension for every student in every class.  By using Comprehensible Input strategies, students tell stories, engage in conversations, and respond to questions that demonstrate their comprehension and simultaneously give students opportunities to produce the language in speaking and writing.  Instruction is differentiated to provide every student constant opportunities to comprehend and communicate in Spanish. For example, students at the most basic levels may respond to questioning with simple, one-word answers while more advanced students may respond with complete sentences, broader vocabulary, and more complex grammar.  When measuring the growth of my students, they are evaluated using specific proficiency goals that students are clearly communicated to students, though they are invited and encouraged to exceed these benchmarks.

Personal Growth

Along with assisting students to succeed academically, one of my highest priorities is to inspire them to be excellent citizens of our community.  Students spend most of my class time expressing themselves in a variety of ways.  I create a safe and inviting classroom for students to be themselves and interact with one another without fear of embarrassment.  I intend for my students to learn about who they are and how they fit into the world through these conversations and interactions as well as become willing to take risks and achieve their goals.  Ultimately, I hope that students feel empowered by taking an active role in exploring their world and experiencing success within my classroom.  Moreover, I encourage the development of life-skills and abilities students will need beyond their school experience.  For instance, students are required to be excellent citizens in our classroom through exhibiting proper attendance, behavior, and participation; maintaining an organized and complete notebook; and enhancing their knowledge about other cultures as well as exploring and making connections with their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment