Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Classroom Management Philosophy


I believe in using a classroom management strategy that treats students as young adults as much as possible and invites them to rise to the occasion.  Using strategies in line with the Love and Logic philosophy, I require students to use higher thinking skills to evaluate their own behavior and connect it with logical consequences that are both positive and negative. This encourages them to take responsibility for their own behavior in the classroom and, ultimately, in their adult lives.             

First, I set high expectations for behavior and learning.  This is accomplished through establishing explicit rules and procedures as well as learning goals using the CHAMPs (Conversation, Help, Activity, Movement, Participation, and Success) guidelines. In my classroom, a small number of rules are established: “Be respectful, be cooperative, and be responsible”.  These are expanded into classroom expectations using the acronym LISTEN: Look me in the eye, Involve yourself, Show me when you get it and when you don't, Tune back in, EspaƱol, and No talking over. In addition to posting these rules, I facilitate a classroom discussion about what kind of behaviors students believe should be expected in the classroom and how they fit with these rules and expectations.  Using their ideas, we work toward the three main classroom goals outlined above.  After establishing rules, specific procedures for various situations are taught and practiced with an emphasis on efficiency and fluency.  For example, when students do not understand a word, they must clap to get my attention and I clarify the meaning.  Finally, learning goals for the year are established for the year and I make direct connections to how following the rules will assist students in achieving the learning goals.  Throughout the year, I revisit these goals and provide feedback so that students will be able to evaluate their own learning and growth.


Next, I diligently enforce these rules and set a standard of high expectations for behavior.  To reinforce positive behavior, I use positive consequences such as acknowledging exemplary work and recognizing effort.  For example, students may earn a Preferred Activity day by filling marble jar.  To do so, they must use Spanish during class time.  However, if necessary, I also use negative consequences to discourage negative behaviors, such as removing a marble from the jar for using English without permission.  In either case, a variety of consequences are used to personalize my methods to each student’s unique needs and the situation. I can use strategies such as teacher reaction to both encourage positive behavior (acknowledging a distracted student’s effort to be attentive) and discourage negative behavior (giving a silent gesture for a talkative student to be quiet) in various context and personalized for each student.  Such strategies serve as reminders to behave properly and provide students with the opportunity for self-correction.  Finally, I teach my students the language of responsibility and how to take accountability for their actions and the resulting consequences.  Doing so teaches my students to identify and own their behavior.  Most importantly, I always discipline with a smile, constantly communicating my love and care for my students even when I am correcting them.            


Positive relationships are key to the learning process.  I earn and encourage relationships of mutual respect with clear roles and expectations.  I demonstrate a personal interest in my students, both within and beyond the classroom.  I take the time and effort to include student opinions and ideas in my instruction as well pay attention to their extracurricular activities and situations, even attending when possible.  In addition, I take the time to learn about each student’s needs, desires, and challenges.  This not only assists me in personalizing my classroom instruction but also encourages my students to become more engaged in their own education and personal success.
          

Finally, these goals are only made possible through maintaining a positive and enthusiastic attitude.  It is up to me to make my classroom a place of learning, and the students need my example to lead them.  I commit to bring a positive attitude into my classroom daily for my students and evaluate my own behavior as I expect my students to evaluate theirs.  In other words, I must hold myself to the same type of standards to which I hold my students.  Ultimately, it is up to me to determine how my classroom is going to be managed and how I will enforce it, and my attitude will determine the kind of classroom I will have.


No comments:

Post a Comment